Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cleveland Marathon, 10K, and TRI training...

No...I didn't run a Marathon - but my friend Ryan did while his wife Barb and I did a 10K - so we could keep ourselves entertained while we waited for him to finish. It was an incredible thing to be a part of - Ryan wasn't sure he'd be able to finish the Marathon at all, b/c he had messed up his lower back about a month ago. So, Barb had his cell phone in case he need us to come and get him - and as we began to realize that his call wasn't going to be coming in - we got more excited as we realized he was going to finish! And that he did!!! In just over 4hours - pretty impressive, especially for not having trained for the past month.

It was such an emotional experience to be down there on the sidelines cheering as all these marathoners - Barb and I were near tears more than once as the mom's and dad's stopped to take their kids across the finish lines with them, or as the runners gave it everything they had to get across that finish line - whether it was a hobble or a full out sprint....what an accomplishment! Way to go Ryan - we are so proud of you and your accomplishment!!!

While - I'm so inspired by the marathoners and would love to add my name to this elite list....I'm not sure that will be happening anytime soon - I think my knees would fall off should I try, so for now I'll stick to my Triathlons.

I had a good weekend of training last weekend - we did a 4mile run, 26mile bike, and finished with a 2mile run....it felt great to feel like my training was in full swing. Then on Monday we started Indoor Soccer - which was great fun, but I felt it on Tuesday when we went for a bike ride (only 20miles and then tried to run 2 miles). My calves and shins were killing me, I had to walk quite a bit of the last mile because I hurt so bad. Then on Wednesday during my Strength training class at they gym I was still having trouble, so needless to say the rest of the week was no existent in my training...Although..I do need to get to the pool - I have no excuse for not doing that.

So, today's 10K was hopefully a start of me getting back in gear...it was more of a run/walk - but it's best not to overdue it with my legs still hurting. I'm thinking tomorrow, I'll wear my regular tennis shoes - rather than my Samba's....gonna have to get some new soccer shoes.

Well...I'd best get to bed - so I can can make it to the gym in the morning.

1 comment:

H said...

Gotta take care of those legs! Maybe a stretching class??